NAME: Katharina Soos
CITY: Markt Hartmannsdorf
BACKGROUND: University degree
POSITION: Farmer / Operator,
ORGANIZATION: Verein Erde
My Background and Career
After graduating from school I have finished the study of agriculture and at the same time started to collect practical farming experience, because I was a newcomer. I lived for four years in a rural farming community and during which started to work in an agricultural school as a teacher. The next station of my life is already the current one: for over three years I am now living on the leased agricultural land (owned by the parents of my boyfriend) which I run on a biological basis. Further steps are to enlarge the range of products and to improve the marketing.
- The chance of studying and getting into the world of agriculture
- The joint experimentation in the agricultural sector in the farm community
- The takeover of the already certified organic area of the current property
Challenges encountered mainly in the financial and family area
- Pleasure and curiosity to experiment and try new things,
- Knowledge of processes in animal husbandry,
- Observation skills,
- The skill not to give up when things go wrong – instead keeping the objective in mind and to pursue my goal.